Firework are governed by Oklahoma State Statute (OS), Title 68 Section 1621 et seq,  State Fire Marshall's regulations. Fireworks can be sold between June 15 and July 4 and January 1 of each year in Oklahoma. To sell fireworks one must first obtain a retail license from the Oklahoma State Fire Marshall's (OSFM) Office. Usually the fireworks distributor can assist you with this license as they must obtain a wholesale license as well. The regulations for this can be found on their website at

Once the retail license from the OSFM office has been obtained, one can apply to the City of Sallisaw for a firework stand, (booth or tent) permit. This permit is to ensure that the minimum guideline for distance from highways, roadways, combustible material and structures are met. Inspection of the electrical or fuel powered generators are conducted prior to a stand opening to ensure electrical and fire hazards are minimized. Stands must be located in Commercial Zoned property,
SCO:102 Article IV District Regulations, and one must obtain permission from the property owner(s).

Fireworks cannot be sold, discharged nor stands placed in the downtown business district,
Sallisaw Code of Ordinance SCO 66-9(b)(d).

The district is generally described as lying south of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and North of East Chickasaw Avenue and lying between North Wheeler Avenue and North Elm Street per
SCO 42-102(b) which describes this district in full.  

Personal use of fireworks are permissible by the State of Oklahoma between June 15- July 4 and January 1.

Within the City limits of Sallisaw, personal use is limited to January 1st,  July 1st through 4th, and December 31st between the hours of 10 am and 12 midnight each day,
SCO 66-9(c).


Contact Information

  1. Keith Miller
    Building Development Director

    City Hall 2nd Floor
    115 E. Choctaw
    Sallisaw, OK  74955

    Ph: (918) 775-6241
    Fx: (918) 775-9550


    Monday - Friday
    8:30 am - 4:30 pm